I'm taking some time off work and starting a sabbatical starting in a few days. The plan is to do a multi-month tour of Latin America, starting with a one month island-hopping trip to the Caribbean.
Here's my rough itinerary, assuming these countries manage to stay open during Covid times:
- The Caribbean. Currently plan to visit The Dominican Republic, Curacao, Sint Maarten, and Antigua and Barbuda. Roughly one week in each country.
- Peru. Spend some time in Lima. Visit Cusco, Machu Picchu, the Peruvian Amazon, Lake Titicaca.
- Bolivia, if they drop their 10 day quarantine requirement. Spend some time in La Paz and see the salt flats in Uyuni.
- Chile, if they open up in the next 2-3 months. See Patagonia, the Atacama desert, Easter Island, maybe Antarctica.
- Mexico. Mostly Oaxaca and the Yucatan.
- Costa Rica. Drive along one of the coasts and enjoy the small towns.
- If we somehow have some extra time, make a trip to either Brazil, Cuba, Uruguay, Colombia, or Belize.
At the very least I expect to be able to speak fluent Spanish by the end of this trip.